8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
*Note: COVID-19 restricted access, call ahead for in-person appointments.
We are on the job
24 hours a day,
365 days a year.
We Are a Green Business
Commercial / Institutional COVID-19 Rate Relief
COVID-19 Rate Relief Program for Commercial and Institutional Customers with Partial or Full Closures
Recognizing the financial impacts of COVID-19 on commercial and institutional ratepayers that faced partial or full closures from shelter-in-place orders, the Novato Sanitary District has developed a Sewer Service Charge relief program for such customers.
The program’s premise is that the District can legally provide some rate relief to qualifying commercial and institutional ratepayers relative to lower wastewater discharges from partial or full closures, while complying with legal requirements that do not permit full rebates absent complete physical disconnection from the District’s systems. Therefore, the District designed the program to provide relief while balancing the need for fairness and legal compliance. Qualifying commercial and institutional customers include, for example, schools, businesses, and non-profits.
Eligibility: Eligibility for Sewer Service Charge relief is based on meeting all three of the following criteria:
- You are a commercial or institutional ratepayer discharging to the District;
- You are the ratepayer of record, i.e., the legal entity on record as having paid the fiscal year (FY) 19–20 Sewer Service Charge, either through the County of Marin Property Tax bill or via direct billing to the District; and
- The shelter-in-place orders resulted in business closure(s) and a partial or full reduction in your discharge to the District’s systems for the period of March 17–June 30, 2020.
Estimated Relief Amount: The relief amount will vary because the Sewer Service Charge that commercial and institutional ratepayers pay is based on multiple factors. However, the maximum value of the relief amount is about 16% of the fiscal year 2019–2020 Sewer Service Charge. As an example, a commercial or institutional rate payer that paid a fiscal year 2019–2020 Sewer Service Charge of $1,000 may qualify for a maximum relief amount of about $160.
Application Process: If you meet the eligibility criteria above, fill out the one-page Application Form and return it to the District office with:
- A copy of your FY 19–20 Marin County Property Tax Bill or, if you were billed directly, a copy of the District Invoice (or the District Invoice number), AND
- Proof of payment (for example, a copy of a cancelled check), AND
- A copy of your North Marin Water District bill which includes the period of March 17–June 30, 2020.
The Application Deadline is December 31, 2020. District staff will determine your eligibility and calculate the eligible relief amount. The ratepayer of record will receive a District check for the eligible relief amount.